Moving To Canada


Moving to Canada

Canada is fast becoming one of the more popular choices of countries for us Brits to relocate to. In fact every year over 200,000 people move to Canada on a permanent basis and many of these people are from the UK. All of these people needed to rely on an international removals firm that they could trust to complete the job in a professional and efficient manner, a firm such as Vanpac International.

It is hardly surprising why Canada is becoming the country of choice to relocate to. It has a strong economy and it boasts vast natural scenery that goes on for miles and miles. Who could not fall in love with what this amazing country has to offer in terms of lifestyle.

Canada has a population of 32 million people, which you may think it quite a lot compared to here in the UK. However what will surprise you more is the fact that 608,000 of these people are Britons who have relocated here from the UK. More surprising is that 157,000 of them are pensioners who have decided to retire here for good.

Many Britons move to the provinces and capital cities. Popular destinations that Vanpac International relocates Britons to is Alberts, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan and Yukon.

Canada has a varied climate, depending on where you actually relocate. It can be temperate in the south but the further north you go it can become subarctic and arctic. Not many people know that Canada is actually the second largest country in the world after Russia so there are thousands of potential places there that you could relocate to. However we find that nearly 85% of Canada’s population has actually settled within 300km of the American border. Canada has always proved a popular location to relocate to with us Brits, in fact 28% of the people have British origin, with the French next with 23%.

Arriving in Canada

Upon arriving in Canada the customs and immigration entry procedure is quite straight forward, as long as you have completed the necessary documentation. You will need:

  • A valid passport for each member of the family
  • Two copies of a list detailing everything that you have brought to Canada with you, both personal and household
  • Bring enough money to cover everything for a six month period, to include rent, food and clothing
  • A Confirmation of Permanent Residence and a Canadian Immigrant Visa for each family member

You will be interviewed by a Canadian Customs Officer at the airport who will then refer you to the Immigration Officer. They simply check all of your documents and funding and it is at this point that they sign your Record of Landing to become a permanent citizen.

Settling Into Canadian Life

Once you have moved to Canada the first thing that you will need to do is apply for a health insurance card, everyone has to have one even if you have a newborn baby. They are easy to get, either from a doctor’s surgery or pharmacy. You will need your birth certificate, passport and the Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292) to apply for the card; sometimes you can present the Permanent Resident Card also but as soon as you apply you are covered.

Canadian Property

In terms of property in Canada we find that most Britons decide to rent at first. Once they have rented for a while they get a feel for the area and can make a more informed decision about their new town or city. Rent varies in the country depending on where you settle. However typically you are looking to pay around $350 a month for a room whilst a house can be up to $2,000. The further out of a city you relocate to the cheaper the accommodation is. If you are unsure there are fantastic immigrant serving organisations in most cities who can help you find affordable housing.

Canadian Laws

Once the house has been sorted it is best to get to know the laws in Canada. Believe it or not they are very similar to the UK but below is a list for you to familiarise yourself with before you go:

  • You have to have a valid drivers license, registration and insurance to drive in Canada
  • Do not drive if you have been drinking alcohol
  • Seat belts have to be worn at all times in cars by both the driver and the passengers
  • Children have to attend school between the ages of 6 and 16
  • Smoking is banned in most public places like the UK
  • In some parts of Canada you have to be 19 years of age to buy alcohol

Vanpac International hopes the list above is informative; it has been compiled by our agents due to their extensive knowledge of Canada through the thousands of relocations that we have undertaken to this vast but beautiful country.

If you would like to learn more about our removals to Canada service then simply call us on 023 8042 8559 and one of our advisers will be happy to help or if its out of working hours please use our Canada quote page to leave your details for us to call you back.